Friday, May 30, 2014

The Nature of PTSD



Like fording a flowing river,
Can knock you off your feet.
I went from a busy socialite,
To a man in full retreat.

Like a cloudy dark night,
Can make you lose direction.
I feel I have traveled beyond,
A late-in-life intersection.

Like a raptor on the hunt,
Flying high to survey the ground.
I stay hyper vigilant,
And watch people all around.

Like the bears during winter,
Finding shelter in a cave.
I have to protect myself,
From those emotions that rave.

Like the innocents of a sparrow
Living a simple life
I seek to find some peace again
Instead of all this strife

Like the midnight darkness,
Waiting for the sun to rise.
I long to live my life again,
With clear unclouded skies.

Like wind blowing the clouds away,
And the grey skies turning blue.
I want my normal life back,
To start it all anew.

David Rose - Vietnam Veteran - Combat Medic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed.