Saturday, April 9, 2016

Chap Calls It Moral Injury

I was raised a conservative lad
Because of the parents that I had

Made good grades all through school
Never forgot the golden rule

Even though I had the knowledge
Goofed a lot was drafted from college

Didn't want to go and fight
But chose to do what was right

Signed in as a conscientious objector
Thought it better than being a defector

Served as medic during the war
In a conflict that I abhor

Too much to ask from a teen aged kid
Unbelievable the missions I did

Ironic my brothers died one by one
When the only survivor didn't carry a gun

50 years later it's still hard to cope
Often I don't feel much hope

My doctors call it PTSD
My chaplain calls it moral injury

It doesn't matter who is wrong or right
Both carry a difficult plight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed.